Recently one of our advisors in the San Jose area discovered a potentially deadly situation while doing routine testing in a customer’s home. Robert Urbina, a Home Comfort Advisor with Residential Energy Pro’s, while doing combustion safety testing, discovered that carbon monoxide was quickly reaching an exceptionally high level in the vent of the homeowner’s furnace.
According to BPI standards, something every GreenHomes America partner follows before and after work, he discovered a situation that needed to be addressed immediately. BPI recommends servicing equipment when CO levels climb above 25ppm, this reached well into the thousands. I’ve mentioned the dangers of CO in a home, and in this situation the CO was still finding its way up the stack. The danger occurs when something simple changes. Airflow and pressures in a home are constantly changing whether from the seasons, a remodeling change or a new fan in the bathroom. What happens when, for example, the fans in the house unintentionally reverse the flow of toxic gasses from the chimney and draw it into the home? Bad news for sure!
REP dispatched a service tech immediately to the home to further diagnose and repair the system. Thank goodness it was a straightforward fix, and in short order the system was adjusted and retested. Robert’s second reading was well within the limit, and as you imagine the homeowner was ecstatic!
For safety’s sake folks, have your heating system tested for more than just efficiency!